Search This Blog

Thursday, June 17, 2010

It's been a week since my first chemo and I'm feeling...

Fine actually. Today was a good day--I had somewhat of an appetite and my energy level is good. However, I should qualify this. Here are some constants in my life post-chemo:

*A yucky aftertaste in my mouth. Sometimes it is stronger than at other times--sometimes it tastes metallic, at other times, it's just this weird film/off taste that is a constant presence in my mouth. I sometimes will suck on a lozenge or candy or will gargle with mouthwash or brush my teeth and tongue, just to get some temporary relief, but it is a constant presence in my mouth, this aftertaste--which I'm sure is contributing to my lack of appetite/change in taste buds.

*Stomach issues. Right now it's mild--in the sense that I am aware that I have a stomach. I know that sounds odd, but I want you to stop and think about the last time you thought about your stomach. It was probably either when you were last hungry or when your stomach was last upset after eating something or experiencing motion sickness. For me, I am constantly aware of my stomach and it's various states of queasiness, from the very mild (my current state) to the downright rocky/revolting state (which is when I was at my worse).

*Low energy. This has fluctuated from me being at my lowest (40% energy capacity) to today (85% capacity). But I am more tired and things take a bit longer or I need more time to rest between activities than I normally do (including simple phone calls/conversations--which may be why I'm not picking up the phone or returning phone calls from time to time).

Anyway, it's been a week since my first round of chemo, and I have another week before I go back (Thursday, June 24 at 9:30am I'm back in the infusion chair--sigh). So I'm *hoping* that the pattern, at least while I'm on the "AC" cocktail will be one bad week and one good week. I suppose once I start taxol and once the chemo starts to build up in my system that all might change, but if the next 2 months are one bad and one good week, then overall this isn't so bad--annoying and frustrating, yes. But workable.

So on that note, let me leave you with two videos, just for kicks. The first is compliments of my colleague Elyse, and it may be surprising that I'd get such a kick out of it, but first of all, it's not pink ribbons, it's pink gloves, and secondly, I love random dancing. I especially love amateur random dancing--when folks get together to create goofy dance routines or to just dance together in random places (which explains my love of the second video on this post).

Enjoy!

PINK GLOVE DANCE--Providence, St. Vincent




WHERE THE HELL IS MATT?

Where the Hell is Matt? (2008) from Matthew Harding on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment