Search This Blog

Monday, June 21, 2010

It's back! My appetite!

Today has been the best day I've had since I started chemo on Thursday, June 10. This is technically day 12 of chemo and again, I feel like a textbook case: the first 5 days are the hardest and my symptoms are the most severe and the following days I feel better and better until the last few days I actually start to feel like my old self again when BAM! I start the cycle all over again.

(sigh)

I hope I do run true to course, because feeling crappy for 5 days out of 14 isn't so bad. Although I suppose I still have to deal with decreased energy (I basically spent Saturday lying around the house--on my couch, curled up in my arm chair, napping on the futon in my home office, and finally in bed by 9pm, sound asleep), but the good news seems to be that my taste buds return back to normal around day 12.

Because I HAVE MY APPETITE BACK!

I have to eat smaller portions (odd, not sure why) but the good news is definitely that food tastes good to me again. Which is such a relief! I mean, ice cream that tastes like cardboard is just a sad, Sad, SAD world. But I suppose for a week at a time, I'll just deal with that (although, there are always Massa Organic almonds to get me through the bad week, as well as Trader Joe's lentil-potato snacks and rice crackers--these are my staples during the bad days--as well as everything ginger).

Today I went to yoga and had no problem with any of the poses, and I've also managed to walk a mile every morning--the one constant during this treatment (exercise is actually really helpful in dealing with the chemo, at least I think so--although I definitely can't push myself like I normally do--a mile or mile and a half is just about right for me).

So that's the latest update from me. I'll write again on Thursday when I'm back at the Lineberger Center, and I'm sure I'll be writing to all of you when my hair falls out...I should have another 10 days before that happens (sigh). Anyway, I hope everyone reading this is having a good day, and if you're not, then I hope it gets better very soon. And most importantly, I hope that you enjoy a good meal today--and savor every bite. I think I've neglected to appreciate my taste buds in the past and I'm just SO GRATEFUL for them right now that I'm going to savor every meal that I can taste until Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment